Ok, so here we are this year again with GISHWHES and this time the list is this one and we have five days to complete it!!!
Lucky Seven: Things to remember that can help find your way to ghost hunting in Scotland!
- 1. Safety. There's a way to scavenge all of these items safely AND legally.
- 2. Commandments. Read the Commandments. Yes, again. And maybe one more time. Also, we may add or remove items and change the rules on you mid-hunt. So it is your responsibility to check the "Updates" page daily.
- 3. Submission Quality. Submit the best quality photos and videos. This year, our judges have been authorized to assign up to 50% more points for superior submissions. That means if you execute a 50-point item with exceptional care and thought, you could walk away with 75 points. So think about focus, lighting, background props, etc. If the picture is riveting, the judges will likely be riveted, and, well, you do the math.
- 4. Interpretation. Submit exactly what is asked for, not your reinterpretation of it. If we ask for a camel in the picture we don't want a drawing of a camel, or an inflatable camel. We want a real, hairy, spitting humped beast.
- 5. Creative Scavenging. Be creative on how you get props and materials for your items. Last year's participants proved you don't have to buy stuff. They used friends, neighbors, donations and communities. They were also surprised how complete strangers thoroughly enjoyed helping them complete items. Throw "Item Parties" and have people bring what you need. You can win cheaply simply by being clever, borrowing or begging.
- 6. Courage. Be courageous. You don't need money or talent to win this. All of these items can be completed simply by having the courage to ask someone. Between the 15 of you, someone somewhere has what you need or can help you get it.
- 7. Do it. Have fun, make friends, push your boundaries and mud wrestle with your creative side.
There are a number of items below that have the word "Hurricane" in front of them. Although they can be completed by anyone, they are designed to be completed by people who might be home-bound with no electricity for the next few days because of Hurricane Sandy on the East Coast in the US. Please note, if the power outages are prolonged, we may extend the deadline for these items (and perhaps all others) past the end of the hunt. Remember, if you're on the East Coast and your authorities have told you to stay inside, FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS! Do NOT go outside. Be safe and good luck!
ALL of the Items below should either be captured as "images" (which are photographs) or "videos". When you click "Submit", there will be instructions on how to submit the links to these images or videos. You should only use IMGUR, VIMEO and YOUTUBE. IMPORTANT - Unless otherwise specified, ALL VIDEOS must be 30 seconds or less!
- We are going to attempt to shatter the Guinness World
Record for the "Most Pledges to Commit a Random Act of Kindness." The
current record is 74,379 pledges held by Guinness Breweries. Let's take
the throne! Your team must collect "pledges" from individuals pledging
to do a Random Act. Click this link
and follow instructions; don't click the submit button here. (You get 1
point for every 2 pledges - up to 350 points maximum. It's only 47 per
team member, but we expect you to exceed this because this isn't all
about points. Is it?)
- [IMAGE] A four-post, queen-sized bed with headboard and
footboard. On the bed: a sleeping person. Over the person: A
comforter. Under the person's head: A pillow. Bed, person, comforter and
pillow must all be situated in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
- [IMAGE] A storm trooper in full costume including
leggings (not just the mask!) cleaning a pool. We must see someone
lounging in a swimsuit holding a cocktail nearby.
- [IMAGE] Help someone who has been injured or whose home has been damaged by hurricane Sandy.
- [IMAGE] Let's see what Twister would look like with 13
people. Each person must be wearing only one color of clothing, i.e. all
yellow, or all red and no two people can be wearing the same color
- [IMAGE] Hurrican Item - If your child were a prodigy
artist and had a marker and you were deep asleep and they were inspired
to "beautify" your face, what would the result be?
- [IMAGE] 3 adults and a dog sitting on chairs around a
table in a public library. The humans are reading Dr. Seuss books. The
dog is wearing prescription eyeglasses and reading Kant.
- [IMAGE] Ever seen the movie "The Hangover"? Let's see
the aftermath of the most debaucherous party ever. Photo must be taken
at the home of a team member's parents.
- [IMAGE] Using a Zamboni and dyes, draw a giant frowny face on an ice-skating rink.
- [IMAGE] Find an object that was manufactured the day
and year you were born in city or town of your birth. Prove it. (Note:
the "object" in question cannot be you or your twin.)
- [IMAGE] Submit a "Freedom of Information Act" request for your personal files.
- [IMAGE] Creatively edit the Wikipedia entry for Jared
Padelecki to seamlessly include your team name and some mention of his
abiding admiration of Misha Collins.
- [IMAGE] An op-ed piece published in a local paper about how "petty, vindictive birds are stealing from the elderly!"
- [IMAGE] A person in a business suit with a leather briefcase jumping into leaf pile.
- [IMAGE] Five parking tickets made out to the same license plate on the same day in the same municipality.
- [IMAGE] Knit a scarf that is at least 12 feet long and is being worn by 3 people at one time.
- [IMAGE] Thread the stem of an actual, still-green, four-leafed clover through the hole of a nose piercing.
- [IMAGE] You and 8 of your friends standing outside the
Copenhagen City Hall. One of you, smiling, is holding a large sign that
says: "Denmark - ranked 2012 'World's Happiest Country!'" Everyone else
in the photo must be either pissed off or crying. Mascara must be
- [IMAGE] A uniformed Burger King employee enjoying a McDonald's Happy Meal.
- [IMAGE] Get a tour of a sauerkraut factory. Photo must
depict at least 50 gallons of uncanned sauerkraut and a team member
wearing a single sequenced glove.
- [IMAGE] The inside of an ICBM missile silo decorated
for Halloween. Remember, it must be a real ICBM silo to qualify.
"Interpretation" will dock points from your team... unless it's really
- [IMAGE] We've all heard of a "flea circus". What do "flea strip clubs" look like?
- [IMAGE] A GISHWHES counter-rally at an Obama or Romney campaign stop. Must include at least 5 people with large picket signs.
- [IMAGE] The president, king, chancellor, premiere or prime minister of a nation modeling a brazier.
- [IMAGE] Calendar item: A photo of a scantily clad
fireman (or firemen) whose skimpy attire is made entirely from kale.
Model must be posing in front of a fire truck. Bonus points if, behind
him, water is shooting up into the air from a hose or hydrant.
- [IMAGE] Proof that a team member's family tree leads to Genghis Khan.
- [IMAGE] A photo of someone using one of those ancient
1800s cameras -- you know the ones with the wooden tripod and the black
cloth -- taking a photo of a commodore 64 computer that's resting on a
- [IMAGE] A live monkey or ape wearing a sock monkey hat while trying to extract burnt toast from a toaster.
- [IMAGE] Have a romantic dinner with a marionette
puppet at a 2- or 3-star Michelin restaurant. A puppeteer clad in black
must control the marionette. The puppeteer must not eat.
- [IMAGE] Show up at Second Beach in Stanley Park,
Vancouver, Canada on November 4th at noon with 500 popsicle sticks, a
spool of sewing thread and quick-drying glue.
- [IMAGE] Unionize GISHWHES.
- [IMAGE] Fifteen children in Halloween costumes each
holding up a sign with a different letter that, combined, say "GISHWHES
- [IMAGE] Get your team name and "GISHWHES" on a
billboard. Must include commercial-looking graphics, and must be at
least 100 square feet on an actual, commercial billboard.
- [IMAGE] Calendar item: Wear cheese and wear it well.
You cannot be wearing anything but cheese. You may use any type of
cheese you wish. Supermodel it posed next to or on a classic car (a
classic car is any car that predates 1980.)
- [IMAGE] Draw or paint a portrait of Misha Collins and
the Queen of England, both dressed in Steampunk, riding on a single
- [IMAGE] Hug a uniformed Veteran.
- [IMAGE] A screen cap of a chat thread on Misha
Collins' IMDB page. The thread must be started by a user with your
team's name and must pose an unusual question about Misha's personal
life, such as, "Is it true that Misha Collins eats nothing but the
hearts of human babies?" Or "Why doesn't Misha have any fingers?"
- [IMAGE] A Hell's Angels (or at least a tough & leathered biker) with an authentic Teletubby tattoo.
- [IMAGE] You and 3 of your friends/family dressed like Egyptians in a chariot on the steps of the Wellington Monument in Dublin.
- [IMAGE] Create a portrait of Jensen Ackles entirely
out of skittles doing his pouty "Blue Steel" look. Must be AT LEAST 2
feet by 2 feet.
- [IMAGE] A real full-sized commercial Blimp or hot-air
balloon, in the air, that's been completely covered in brightly colored
autumn maple leaves.
- [IMAGE] There is a quote on a piece of paper stuck to
the bottom of a bench overlooking the bay in Sausalito. Find it and
follow directions. If the paper disappears the points will be deducted
from the last team to submit a link.
- [IMAGE] Go to the Grimm Brother's statue with 10 of your friends and dress up and pose as a "Fairy Tale gone bad!"
- [IMAGE] What happens when you roast Barbie and Ken (in
an embrace) with an assortment of root vegetables? You will be
penalized if you eat the roasted vegetables. You also will probably die
as they will be toxic from the roasted plastic.
- [IMAGE] Let's see your team displayed like the "Brady
Bunch" opening credits except there are 3 rows of 5 pictures (versus the
3X3 we know from the "Brady Bunch" opening credits points). The
submission must be 1 image with the 15 frames in it. Each of you must be
wearing 70s attire and must look VERY emotionally unbalanced.
- [IMAGE] Your head in a sock monkey hat mounted like a hunting trophy on a wall next to a taxidermy moose head.
- [IMAGE] It's time to get organized! Create a filing system for chickens in a chicken coup.
- [IMAGE] What do you look like sleeping? What does a
close-up of your child smiling in your kitchen look like? What would a
cake look like if your child made it with no help from you? And what
would your child's face look like if he or she could eat the cake while
you're still sleeping? MUST SUBMIT AS ONE PICTURE with the four images
edited together in progression side-by-side.
- [IMAGE] Build a teahouse under a bridge from recycled materials. Have a cup of tea in it.
- [IMAGE] Belgium is known for its beer. Go to A La Becasse Brewery and hold up a GISHWHES labeled beer.
- [IMAGE] How long was Miss Jean Louis's "kale binge"? One might find the answer on one of our social media platforms.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Build a real igloo-doghouse
in the snow. Dog must be visible in the doorway. GISHWHES must be
written in food coloring on the doghouse.
- [IMAGE] Carve a Jill O'Lantern! Carve a pumpkin to look like a feminized Misha Collins. Bonus points for realism.
- [IMAGE] Elmo Gone Wrong. What would a Tickle-Me-Elmo look like if it had a serious crystal meth problem?
- [IMAGE] A man in a chicken suit in the pilot seat of a commercial jet.
- [IMAGE] Drop a school bus (may be a toy bus) into red, molten lava from an active volcano.
- [IMAGE] Create a public chalk art piece diagramming Kant's categorical imperative.
- [IMAGE] You and your friend at a children's hospital giving a sock or real puppet show.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Knit a "GISHWHES" vest for a cat with matching booties.
- [IMAGE] Sign and have notarized (or equivalent of
notarized in your country) an affidavit vowing never to build raised
garden boxes within the city limits of South Pasadena.
- [IMAGE] What would you and your friend look like if you were a human-sized burrito and taco standing side by side?
- [IMAGE] Build a model of the death scene of Galois in miniature out of legumes.
- [IMAGE] 5 uniformed postal workers hula hooping in front of a post office.
- [IMAGE] Attend a professional soccer (a.k.a.
"football" everywhere but North America) game dressed in a US football
uniform. Pads, helmet, cleats, etc.
- [IMAGE] Create a 2 foot-high dinosaur out of sanitary napkins.
- [IMAGE] Skydive while holding up a sign that imbeds,
"GISHWHES" in a phrase. For example, your sign could say, "Lose your
dignity -- join GISHWHES." Or "GISHWHES made me do it."
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Find prime factorization for RSA-210.
- [IMAGE] There is a quote on a piece of paper stuck to
the bottom of a bench in front of a massive LCD screen in Wuhan, China.
Find it and follow directions. If the note disappears the points will be
deducted from the last team to the last team to submit a link to an
- [IMAGE] You and a friend must take at least 50 of your
stuffed animals/dolls on a field trip to a grocery store. All of the
stuffed animals/dolls must EITHER be attached to your clothing or in a
grocery cart or both.
- [IMAGE] Recreate the snake's seduction of Eve at a bus stop. Fig leaf, apple, snake, etc.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Sculpt your hair with gel,
wires, tape, ornaments, animals, and whatever else into what someone
would undoubtedly have to classify as the Most Epic Hair Hat the World
Has Ever Seen (MEHHWHES)
- [IMAGE] A Yoga class in a yoga studio with at least 10
participants doing the same pose. Unlike everyone else, however, you
must be wearing full skiwear including ski boots, skis, hat and goggles.
- [IMAGE] Break your own world record.
- [IMAGE] A bookstore on the Left Bank declares "Be not
inhospitable to strangers lest they be angels in disguise." Stand in
front of this Parisian landmark dressed as an angel holding up a sign
saying, "Don't touch me."
- [IMAGE] You handing coats you've collected from your closet, friends and neighbors to a local shelter.
- [IMAGE] Make a gorgeous wig out of cheese puffs and/or
popcorn. Go shopping for diamonds wearing it. The image must show you
in the wig, at the jewelry display case, talking to the sales agent, as
you browse the diamonds.
- [IMAGE] If your team could give the entire world one
piece of advice, what would it be? Have one a team member hold a sign
bearing the statement over their head in front of an internationally
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - A one-page GISHWHES comic strip involving a rhinoceros, a tangerine, and an appendectomy.
- [IMAGE] Rio is the location for the next summer
Olympics. In front of the Christ the Redeemer statue, you and 6 of your
friends must all be dressed in different Olympian athlete event
costumes, and each of you must have at least one piece of equipment (bow
and arrow, javelin, pole vault, discus, paddle, puck, etc.) and must be
posing as if you were competing in the sport. You may NOT choose
tennis, cycling, golf, basketball or football/soccer. If you choose
equestrian as one of them, we must see the horse.
- [IMAGE] You posing with a "spaghetti gun" and wearing a woven "spaghetti-hunting jacket". Spaghetti may be cooked or uncooked.
- [IMAGE] We want to see what the inside of Area 51's most secret storage room looks like.
- [IMAGE] Let's see you make a snow angel. But instead
of making it from snow, make it from Jello on your kitchen floor
(Inspired by Nin Pipariperho)
- [IMAGE] You holding a picture of you holding a picture
of you holding a picture of you holding a picture of you holding a
picture of an apple. You must have a gold frame suspended around your
head. (Inspired by nakedontheimpalacoveredinbees)
- [IMAGE] Stand next to a REAL Olympic gold or silver
medal winner. They must have their arms upraised in victory but you must
be biting on the medal while it's around their neck. Must include medal
winner's name in the photo (Inspired by Paige Barton)
- [IMAGE] Cultural exchange: Have dinner with a Sunni and a Shiite or a Hutu and a Tutsi.
- [IMAGE] A Bejeweled Bosom covered with nothing but jewels (Inspired by Erin Leigh Winchester)
- [IMAGE] Catch the Snipe and show us what it looks like in oil paint. (Inspired by Obadiah Kliest)
- [IMAGE] The Maryann Elizabeth Voisinet. Write a
10-line epically beautiful brilliant love poem addressed to "My Dearest
Maryann Elizabeth Voisinet". In addition to whatever else you put in the
poem, include something about how much you like her cooking. The poem
should be from your team name. Take a picture of the poem and submit the
link here. YOU MUST ALSO mail the love poem to her with a small dried
flower to PO BOX 99185, Raleigh, NC USA 27624. It must reach her by
November 15th so we can confirm it was sent.
- [IMAGE] A priest, a rabbi and a minister all walk into a bar. (Inspired by Miss Alexandra Roberts)
- [IMAGE] High Tea - a formal tea party replete with
parasols, silverware and a string quartet situated in a junkyard or
- [IMAGE] Table a motion
- [IMAGE] A schlemiel and a schlemazl sharing a schmear of schmaltz and getting shickered outside of a shul. (From Nicole Ansell)
- [IMAGE] Using only items found around you (either at
work, home, or school), construct a vehicle capable of adventure and
mayhem! Vehicle must be transporting a crew of three or more in full
battle gear! (From Kat Green)
- [IMAGE] Paint a large unicorn on a military transport truck. You MUST have permission to do so.
- [IMAGE] Kilt made entirely of sliced cucumbers. Must be worn by a man. (From Xiomara Dilrosun)
- [IMAGE] In front of Hallgrimskirkja, you and a friend
hold up two signs and two bags of ice. One sign says "Welcome to
Iceland!" the other says "Keep your hands off our ice!"
- [IMAGE] Santa Clause in line at the post office with a
SACK FULL OF TOYS. Must be at least 10 people in line with him. (From
- [IMAGE] A dog taking a human for a walk. Human must be
on all fours and have a collar around their neck and the dog must have
the leash in his mouth. (From Michelle Rogatski)
- [VIDEO] Big wheel race time. 4 adults racing on plastic big wheels. They must all be wearing formal attire.
- [VIDEO] In mime, depict one of the following phrases:
a) "The pen is mightier than the sword." b) "You're the bees knees!" c)
"Holkyn kolkyn!" (Inspired by Ida Tamminen)
- [VIDEO] A couple who has been together for over 60
years sitting on a couch sharing their secrets to a happy and lasting
partnership. They must say what city and country they're living in at
the beginning of the video. (Up to 60 SECONDS)
- [VIDEO] Jog in real "Pumpkin shoes" (you may
substitute any squash or gourd), wearing jogging shorts and headphones
down a busy sidewalk.
- [VIDEO] Two three-year-olds wearing suits and ties standing at a lectern explaining the Greek debt crisis to the camera.
- [VIDEO] The "Lydia Easter": Recreate a scene from
your favorite movie. Hold on, not so fast! You must film this scene in
the EXACT SAME LOCATION that it was filmed in the movie (same bus stop,
restaurant, park, castle, shark's belly, etc.) The actors must be
dressed the same, same props, etc. The more identical the scene the more
points you will receive. Extra points for depicting a scene from one of
Lydia's favorite movies: "Mao's Last Dancer" or any of the "Harry
Potter" movies. (2 minutes)
- [VIDEO] The first meeting of an adopted child with
their biological parent. We will know if this is staged with "actors".
Don't lie -- bad karma is not a good thing.
- [VIDEO] Film a Random Act of Kindness and set it to
music. (May be up to 90 seconds.) Must include voice over. Note: Your
video will be automatically entered into the non-profit Random Acts'
SAARA contest. If your video submission wins the contest, up to $3,000
will be donated to the charity of your choice! See this link
for all details. BE SURE TO SUBMIT THE VIDEO LINK ON THE GISHWHES
WEBSITE, not the Random Acts website. We will allocate your GISHWHES
points and forward your video to Random Acts. If your team wins the
SAARA contest, your team will vote on which charity should receive the
donation. If you can't come to a consensus on which charity to support,
we'll do a blind drawing to select a winner. Good luck!
- [VIDEO] A man and a woman in full wedding attire,
standing perfectly still holding hands in a well-lit crowded public
space for 20 minutes. Neither of you can move. This submission must be
time-lapsed so the entire 20 minutes is condensed to 20 seconds -- fast
- [VIDEO] Wearing swim flippers and a mask, approach a
complete stranger in a public space and then hand them a "seaweed
bouquet" with one flower in the middle of it.
- [VIDEO] Ever seen this?
Let's do the same thing but edit together multiple kids under the age
of 5 singing "It Sucks to Be Me" from the Avenue Q musical. They must be
lying down getting ready to nap, playing with toys, painting or drawing
or doing other kids things while they're singing.
- [VIDEO] Let's see your family dress and pose and
create the "Worst Family Holiday Card Ever". Note: everyone must be
holding a cucumber. If you use an image already on the Internet and try
to "doctor" in the cucumbers your team will be docked 60 points.
- [VIDEO] Created a choreographed lip-synced dance
performance to one of Jason Manns' or Rob Bennedict's (Louden Swain's)
songs. Must be dynamic, must really tell a story, must involve costumes
(and costume changes points) and must have a cast of at least 15.
- [VIDEO] A mechanical catapult that sends a pumpkin more than 100 feet across an open field. MUST be mechanical.
- [VIDEO] Three adult men with facial hair (ideally
beards) wearing ballerina costumes, successfully trick-or-treating
(getting candy) from an unsuspecting homeowner. (Note: we will be able
to tell if the homeowner is actually surprised or not because we have
Licensed Homeowner Surprise Analysts on staff.)
- [VIDEO] Give a psychic reading to a psychic with a crystal ball.
- [VIDEO] Three of you dress up like frogs and play
"leapfrog" in your local Starbucks or chain coffee shop. We must see
patrons and must hear "Ribbit!" each time you leap.
- [VIDEO] Get a full church choir (in a church!) to
sing a 30 second remixed version of Willow Smit's "I whip my hair back
and forth." But there's a catch: Unlike the original version, which is
an assault on both the senses and humanity itself, this rendition
actually has to be musical and moving.
- [VIDEO] Play "Duck Duck Goose" with real ducks and geese.
- [VIDEO] Create a video of a mock news show (realistic
set) where you are at a desk and announce that GISHWHES has taken over
the world and what that means for everyone. The more realistic the
set/video the more points.
- [VIDEO] Recite "The Raven" to a crow.
- [VIDEO] Have a native speaker of Zigeuner say the
following, "I was having trouble with my sex life until I joined
GISHWHES. Now things are going great in bed."
- [VIDEO] A group of at least 8 people wearing
newspaper hats, performing the Haka in a government building. (Inspired
by Yeal Rosen)
- [VIDEO] Dress in a homemade GISHWHES cheerleader
outfit and stand outside a metro station or office building and cheer
people on going in to work. (From Deby G)
- [VIDEO] Build an abacus from human beings. Use it to calculate something for a passerby.
- [VIDEO] Shoot an erotically charged scene. (No
nudity! This is just the erotically charged foreplay). The film must
involve a pizza man and the actors can ONLY talk about grammar and
fonts. Please use at least three of the following terms, "kerning,"
"serif," "gerund," "participle," and "imperfective."
- [VIDEO] Have an octogenarian teach you how to do the Charleston.
- [VIDEO] Get an orchestra in a symphony hall with at least 25 instruments to play "Carry On My Wayward Son".
- [VIDEO] You in a flight attendant uniform, on a
public transit system (that is NOT an airplane). Once the passengers are
seated, give a full safety demonstration. Use props and carefully
choreographed gestures. (Inspired by Cherylyn Crill)
- [VIDEO] Get His Serene Highness Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein to endorse your team.
- [VIDEO] One of you pulling up to a fast food
restaurant drive-thru to order a meal, but instead of ordering a meal,
you are only allowed to make sheep noises into the intercom. Must
clearly hear the person on the other end of the intercom. (From Mel
- [VIDEO] Get your (1) team name or a team member's full name and (2) GISHWHES mentioned on a broadcast television news program.
- [VIDEO] Recode a version of the original Pac Man so
that the ghosts are now unicorns and Pac Man is the face of George Bush.
Then play a game.
- [VIDEO] A rocking horse wearing a sock monkey hat skiing off a regulation-sized ski-jump. (No passengers allowed!)
- [VIDEO] A woman wearing traditional shaker attire playing "Dance Dance Revolution".
- [VIDEO] Create a petition to declare P does NOT equal
NP and get strangers on the street to sign it. Must include a
convincing pitch about the dangers of P=NP.
- [VIDEO] A man wearing traditional mariachi attire playing "Guitar Hero".
- [VIDEO] March to a different drummer. 10 people in a
busy, indoor shopping mall must be marching in sync to the beat of a
snare drum being played loudly by an 11th person. Another person must be
marching nearby to a distinctly different beat played by a second
- [VIDEO] A rock band performing in front of an
audience of at least 1000 people. They must say at the microphone, "This
next one is a new song. We've never played it in front of a live
audience before. It's going to be the first song on our next album and
we hope you love it..." And then they must sing the song "Three Blind
Mice" in rounds.
- [VIDEO] A woman, in a clean empty room, sitting in
lotus position in the middle of at least five live snakes. She must be
rubbing oil onto her arms from a silver bowl and clearly be enjoying it.
The more snakes the more points. They must be real snakes. If they're
not, points will be deducted from your team. Go for the best photo/video
- [VIDEO] It's Halloween! Carve GISHWHES into a
pumpkin. Wait for nightfall. Have a child with a flashlight hide inside
the pumpkin pop out and scream "GISHWHES." Hint: must be an enormous
pumpkin for a child to fit in it.
- [VIDEO] A stop-motion film depicting the two by two loading of Noah's arc and the ensuing flood.
- [VIDEO] Watch the TV show Supernatural on a black and
white TV set powered by an antique stream-fed wooden watermill. Your
video must be a continuous, unedited shot that starts showing us the
water going into the water-wheel then moves to show the belts powering a
generator, which in turn powers the TV.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Pun item: It's called "Hurricane Sandy" for a reason. Show us why.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Local news coverage of a
very sweet and heroic act that your team perpetrated in the aftermath of
Hurricane Sandy. Must mention GISHWHES or your team name or at the very
least, the term "scavenger hunt."
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Someone with their thumb out
to hitch hike in front of a subway or metro stop that has been closed
due to weather on the eastern coast of the US. Note: this photo must,
like all other "outdoor" items, be taken AFTER your local authorities
have said it's safe to go outside, but before the public transit system
is back up and running.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Someone skateboarding on the floor of an otherwise empty New York Stock exchange taken mid-day.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Make a children's doll from
items found in your refrigerator or pantry. Go ahead and really creep us
out with this one.
- [VIDEO] Hurricane Item - Make a comfortable fort in
your living room using furniture, sheets, pillows, towels and curtains.
From inside your fort, show a storm raging outside your window. This
video must clearly show high winds and rain outside the window and the
window must have an "X" of masking tape across it.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - A picture of you and a loved
one kissing. Here's the catch though - you must have at least 11 food
items between your lips and the lips of your loved one.
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - Draw or paint a picture of
Miss Jean Louis riding a school bus like a horse as it flies off a cliff
into a volcano. There can be no passengers and she must have a dialogue
bubble above her head that says something she would definitely say at
- [IMAGE] Hurricane Item - It's Medieval Battle Time!
Huzzah! You and a friend or loved one, dress up in your best battle
gear/armory comprised entirely of kitchen ware. You can be wearing
nothing else. Strike dueling poses.
- [VIDEO] Hurricane Item - Recite these lines from Edna
St. Vincent Milay's poem, "First Fig": "my candle burns at both
ends---It will not last the night;---But ah, my foes, and oh, my
friends----It gives a lovely light," with a candle burning at both ends
in front of your face. No other sources of light may be visible. In the
background, we must hear the droning howl of Hurricane Sandy.
- [VIDEO] "The Maryam Al-Thani" - Dress up in Amish
clothes, and use a horse or horses to tow your car into the parking lot
of a corporate office building complex with "Gangnam Style" playing out
of the car's stereo.